Easy Dinner: Crockpot Potato Soup | Gluten Free, Dairy Free

easy crockpot potato soup (gluten free)
photos Brunch at Saks

My crockpot is the one kitchen tool that keeps me sane. With food allergies, I end up making 99% of my meals, so having something that I can toss the ingredients in and walk away until dinnertime is a much welcomed night off to me.  Up until now I've made primarily beef or chicken dishes in there, but since I was wanting to use up a few russets sitting on my counter but didn't have the time to sit over a soup pot all evening long, I decided to give this recipe a try in the crockpot. And I'm so happy I did because this worked out fabulously. In the morning I peeled and chopped the vegetables, poured them along with the broth into the pot, seasoned everything with salt and pepper, and set the time for 7 hours on low. In total, it took me about 15 minutes from start to clean-up. In the evening, I added milk and flour (my gluten free options in the recipe below) to the pot, cooked for an additional 20 minutes, and then served. Easy-peasy. This makes quite a bit of soup too, so you will have plenty of leftovers for lunch/dinner the next day. You can dress this up as well with things like bacon bits, chopped chives, or sour cream, but it was perfect on it's own. Oh, and one last bonus: simple kitchen clean-up!

{New to eating gluten-free? Check out the items in my gluten/dairy/soy -free pantry here}

easy crockpot potato soup (gluten free)
easy crockpot potato soup (gluten free)
easy crockpot potato soup (gluten free)


Crockpot Potato Soup | Gluten Free, Dairy Free

4-5 russet potatoes, peeled and cubed
3-4 celery ribs, chopped
1 small onion, chopped (about 1 C.)
1 C. chopped carrots 
4 C. chicken broth (or 1, 32-ounce box of broth)
1 tsp. salt
1/2 tsp. black pepper
- - -
1/4 C. flour (I used tapioca )
1 1/2 C. milk (I used rice milk

optional toppings:
bacon or bacon bits
chives (green parts)
shredded cheese
sour cream

In a crockpot, combine potatoes, celery, onion, and carrots. Cover with chicken broth and season with salt and pepper. 

Set on low 6-7 hours, or high 3 hours. 

Once finished cooking, combine milk and flour in a small bowl until fully combined and pour into soup. Mix gently and allow to cook for 15-20 minutes longer on low. 

Serve alone or with any optional toppings. 

Adapted from this recipe.


Pin It!